UGB 05 -06 Banner


General Information
International Students
Special Programs
Special Programs
General Information
Off Campus/Corporate Programs
Certificate Programs
Credit Programs
Non-Credit Programs
Financial Information
Tuition & Fees
Student Financial Aid
Scholarships & Grants

other useful links

Temple Policies
University Core
Course Descriptions
Class Schedule
Admissions Application
Student Life
Temple Bulletins
PDF Version

Student Financial Aid

Student Financial Services
John F. Morris, Director, Student Services
Conwell Hall, Ground Floor
(215) 204-8760

Application Procedures

Documents Needed to Apply:

The only document required is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A FAFSA must be filed each year a student expects to receive financial aid. Applications are available at all SFS locations and also may be filed online, at The federal code for Temple University, Main Campus is 003371. Locations and phone numbers for Temple Campus are listed in the Information at a Glance section.

Application Deadlines:

New Students -- March 1
Continuing Students -- March 1
Priority consideration is given to new and renewal applications received by the Federal Processor by this date. Late applicants
will be considered, but all funding sources may not be available.

International Students

The Office of International Services, (215) 204-7229, offers limited financial assistance to persons holding non-immigrant visas. Federal regulations limit most financial aid to U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, i.e., permanent resident aliens. Questions about immigrant status should be referred to the office.

Academic Requirements

Applicants for Federal, State, and University financial aid programs administered by Temple University must be accepted for admission or currently enrolled as a matriculated student in a degree or certificate program. Exceptions to this requirement are the Federal Stafford Loan or PLUS Loan Programs. A non-matriculated student may be eligible for a Federal Stafford or PLUS Loan if the student is enrolled in a course of study necessary to prepare for admission in a degree or certificate program. Students enrolled in the Qualifying Program have one 12-month period beginning on the first day of the loan period for which the student is enrolled.

Satisfactory Academic Progress:

Financial aid funds are restricted to students who make satisfactory academic progress.  This is defined as maintaining Academic Good Standing according to University Policy and successfully completing a specified number of credits per academic year based on the student's enrollment status.  Also see Academic Warning, Probation, Dismissal and Reinstatement.

Enrollment Status:

Some financial aid programs are restricted to full-time students. Other aid programs are available to both full-time and part-time students. (NOTE: High school students accepted under the Early Admissions Program are not eligible for financial aid until they receive their high school diploma.)

Students should be aware that dropping and adding courses can affect financial aid eligibility, and they must notify the Department of Student Financial Services of any change in enrollment status.

Academic Dismissal/Reinstatement:

Eligibility for financial aid, including federal work-study, ends if a student is academically dismissed.

Financial Aid Eligibility -- Need Analysis

Financial aid is offered to students based on financial need. The U.S. Department of Education establishes the federal definition of need. Need is determined by the following formula:

(Estimated cost of attendance) - (Expected Family Contribution*) - (Expected Financial Aid) = Need

*Family contribution is determined by a federal formula based on information reported on the student's application.

The result of a need determination is met by a combination of awards called a financial aid package. Packages in 2004-2005 generally met 78% of student need, including the Federal Family Educational loans.

Other sources exist that may be available to students for educational assistance. Some of these are private scholarship programs, Cooperative Education programs, Veterans Administration benefits, public assistance, and Social Security benefits. If outside assistance is received, financial aid awarded by the University may be adjusted.

Independent Student Definition

Federal regulations define an independent student if he/she meets one of the following criteria:

1. You were born before January 1, 1982.
2. You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
3. You are a graduate or professional student.
4. You are married.
5. You are a ward of the court, or both your parents are deceased.
6. You have legal dependents other than a spouse.

Federal regulations require that a student not meeting the definition of independent apply as a dependent. These students must provide income, asset, and household information for themselves and their parent(s) (including stepparent[s]).

Educational Budget

Financing one's education takes planning and budgeting. Students should try to plan ahead, anticipating costs and resources, and should request aid for the entire academic year. The basic budget for a year at Temple should include tuition and fees, books and supplies, living expenses, and transportation. Tuition shown in the following examples is for undergraduates attending Main Campus. Financial aid awards will be adjusted accordingly for programs having different tuition rates. The figures in the table are based on estimates from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The economy and one's style of living may make actual costs higher or lower.

Financial Aid Notification and Refund Policy

Applicants are notified of aid eligibility by letter after applications have been reviewed. Financial aid may consist of a combination of grant, loan, and/or work assistance.

Recipients receiving aid in excess of institution charges will receive a refund. Checks are issued according to the University's established schedule, starting immediately after the end of the first week of classes each semester.

Student Employment

Academic Year:

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program at Temple promotes part-time employment of college students with demonstrated financial need. FWS is awarded as part of the student's financial aid package, but the award is not credited to the student's tuition account.

Employment may be within the University or at other public and private non-profit organizations. Each year, the Department of Student Financial Services lists available work-study positions for students in the Job Bank on their website,; however, students are responsible for arranging their own employment.

Summer Sessions:

Summer Federal Work-Study Program awards need-based funds to full-time students currently enrolled in degree or certificate programs. The Student Financial Service Office compiles a list of available positions, but you must arrange your own employment. You must complete a separate Temple Summer Financial Aid application as well as the FAFSA. Both applications are available on the SFS website under the Applying for Aid section, or please call the Student Financial Services Office at (215) 204-2244 to request both applications.

Copyright 2005, Temple University. All rights reserved
Site developed by Temple University, Computer Services