UGB 04 -05 Banner

Academic policies

Academic Course Load
Academic Credit
Academic Residency Requirements
Academic Standing
Academic Warning, Probation, Dismissal and Reinstatement
Athletic Policies
Course Numbering System
Courses Inapplicable to Graduation
Courses Over Ten Years Old
Credit/No Credit Courses
Declaration of Major
Disciplinary Action
Double Major Across Colleges
Final Examinations
Grade Change
Grade Point Average (GPA)
Grades and Grading
Graduation Procedures
Incomplete Coursework
Matriculated Students
Non-matriculated Students
Non-Traditional Credit
Permission to Take Courses at Another Institution
Placement Testing
Plagarism and Academic Cheating
Prerequisites and Co-requisites
Probation and Dismissal
Repeating a Course
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Schedule Revision (Drop/Add)
Second Degrees
Student Educational Right and Privacy Act
Study Abroad Approval for Non-Temple Programs
Tranfer Between Colleges Within the University
Transfer Credit
Withdrawal Policies

other useful links

Temple Policies
University Core
Course Descriptions
Class Schedule
Admissions Application
Student Life
Temple Bulletins

Grade Change

No change of final grade for a completed course will be made without the approval of the instructor's Dean. Deans will consider the grade change upon receipt of the instructor's written explanation. No grade will be changed after the baccalaureate degree is awarded.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Each student's transcript indicates the semester hours completed, semester hours passed, grade points, and grade point average (GPA).

A student's grade point average (GPA) may be useful in assessing academic progress, in determining eligibility for specific programs, or in determining eligibility for Honors or other awards.

The grade point average appears on a student's semester grade reports, DARS reports or the academic advising document, and the transcript.

No change in a student's grade point average is made after the baccalaureate degree is awarded.

To Compute Semester Grade Point Average:
1. Multiply the value of the grade (see policy on Grades and Grading below) by the course's number of semester hours to get quality points.
2. Add the total quality points.
3. Divide total number of quality points by the total number of semester hours completed in courses that yield quality points.

Note: Not included in GPA computations: I, MG, NR, CR, NC, R, P, Au, W, WE, PI. See policy on Repeating a Course.

To Compute Cumulative Grade Point Average:

Divide the total number of quality points by the total number of semester hours completed in courses that yield quality points.
Note: Not included in GPA computations: I, MG, NR, CR, NC, R, P, Au, W, WE, PI. See policy on Repeating a Course.

For credit transferred from other institutions, no grade points are allowed. Also see Repeating Courses.

Grades and Grading:

Semester Grades

The work of all undergraduate students is graded and reported at the end of each semester. Students may access their semester grades on the DiamondLine or OWLnet within 72 hours of the end of the examination period for that semester, and may request a mailed grade report through the DiamondLine or OWLnet.

Three systems are in use for grading and reporting students' work: 

For more information, see policies on Audit, Credit/No Credit Courses, Incomplete Coursework, and Withdrawal Policies in this section of the Bulletin

Academic Progress in Lower Division Courses

Students in lower-level courses receive a mid-semester rating report indicating that their work to date is satisfactory or unsatisfactory, or that they have not been attending the course.  This report is available on OWLnet by the end of the sixth week of fall and spring semesters.

Graduation Procedures

As students approach the end of their undergraduate careers, they must make sure that they are eligible for and can participate in graduation.

In their junior year, or when 80 semester hours have been completed, students should begin an ongoing graduation check with their advisers in order to determine that they are meeting the University, college, departmental, and program requirements for their degree and for graduation.

Early in the semester in which requirements for graduation will be completed, each student pays the University Graduation Fee at the Cashier's Office. For the current fee, see Tuition and Fees under Financial Information section of the Bulletin. The validated Treasurer's receipt accompanies the completed Application for Graduation form and is submitted to the Office of the Dean. (Students in the Fox School of Business and Management must submit their application for graduation and receipt to their Dean's Office prior to registration for their final semester.)

Application deadlines are:

· February 15 for May graduation
· June 1 for August graduation
· October 15 for January graduation

Earlier deadlines may be in effect in some academic units.

The Application for Graduation form must be properly completed, particularly the areas relating to the resolution of incompletes and diploma instructions.

Information concerning commencement activities (such as time, place, invitations, rental of academic regalia) is mailed to students submitting the Application for Graduation form.

Students will not have their degree awarded or diploma or transcript released until all University tuition and fees have been paid.


See Grievances under Student Rights section of the Bulletin.


Temple University recognizes academic achievement in numerous ways.

Dean's Lists record the names of those full-time matriculated undergraduate students in each school or college who completed a semester's work with a stated minimum number of semester hours and GPA. Also, part-time matriculated undergraduate students who have earned at least 12 credit hours across an academic year (fall and spring semesters) are eligible to be considered for Dean's List recognition for that academic year.

See the Academic Criteria for Dean's List under Academic Policy under your school or college or contact your School or College Advising Center.

President's Scholars are those graduating seniors who are scheduled to complete at least their last 60 hours matriculated at Temple University; who have completed 45 of those last 60 hours; and whose cumulative GPA is at least 3.75. President's Scholars are recognized annually at a special ceremony and reception during spring semester.

Graduation with Honors. This distinction is bestowed upon those candidates for baccalaureate degrees who have completed at Temple University at least their last 60 hours toward their degrees . Such students will be awarded their degrees "with praise" if the cumulative Grade Point Average is:
· 3.25 Cum laude
· 3.50 Magna cum laude
· 3.75 Summa cum laude

Students who are granted pre-approval by their deans to take courses elsewhere, up to a full semester’s work, will qualify for these distinctions if they have completed 60 hours at Temple University towards their degrees. See also Admissions: University Honors Program; Supplemental Educational Programs: Honor Societies; Supplemental Educational Programs: University Honors Program in the Bulletin; and the schools and colleges for college and departmental honors and honors programs.

Incomplete Coursework

An instructor will file an “I” (Incomplete) only if the student has completed the majority of the work of the course at a passing level and only if the student’s work for the course was not completed for reasons beyond the student’s control.

An instructor may file an “I” when a student has not completed the work of a course by the time grades must be submitted, but has completed the majority of the work at a passing level and has a written agreement with the instructor and the department regarding completion of the work, including the nature of the work to be completed, the means by which the final grade will be determined, and the date by which the work must be completed. The completion date may be no later than one year from the end of the semester in which the student took the course. The agreement shall also specify a default grade to be received if the work is not completed by the date indicated. One copy of the agreement shall be retained by the instructor, one shall be given to the student, and one shall be filed with the department office or, in colleges or schools without departments, the Dean’s office.
As of September 1, 2003, when reporting the grade of “I” for a student, the instructor shall also file a report of the default grade. If the instructor does not change the grade of “I”, pursuant to the agreement with the student, by the end of one year from the time the grade of “I” was awarded, the appropriate University official shall automatically change the grade of “I” to the reported default grade, and the default grade shall appear on the transcript and be used for all other grading purposes as the actual grade received in the course.

Faculty advisers and staff advisers have the option of not permitting a student to register for an “overload” if the student is carrying one or more active incomplete courses or for a “full load” if the student is carrying two or more active incompletes.


Lower Division Student Academic Progress


Instructors in lower division freshman and sophomore courses will provide evaluations of student progress by the end of the fifth week of class. It is your instructor’s responsibility to complete and return an early report indicating satisfactory or unsatisfactory progress for each student. You will receive your mid-semester ratings on your OWLnet account.


Matriculated Students

Matriculated students are those who have applied, been accepted, and enrolled in a degree program of the University during the semester for which they were admitted.

Completion of course credits before becoming a matriculated student does not assure the acceptance of those credits into the program of matriculation.

Non-matriculated Students

Non-matriculated students are those who have not been admitted formally to a degree program. For information and academic advising for non-matriculated students, see Special Programs (Credit and non-credit): Continuing Education

Degree-seeking non-matriculated undergraduate students are required to apply for admission to a degree program before they complete 30 credits in Continuing Education.

Prior to their enrollment, degree-seeking students are required to take the University placement test. (Some transfer students may be exempt from this requirement; to find out if they are exempt or not, they are strongly encouraged to seek guidance from a Continuing Education academic adviser prior to taking this test).

Non-matriculated undergraduate students are not allowed to take more than 11 credits during their first semester.

Non-matriculated students interested in personal or professional enrichment courses are not required to take a placement test. College transcripts showing prerequisite courses may be required prior to their enrollment.

Copyright 2004, Temple University. All rights reserved
Site developed by Temple University, Computer Services