Concert Band Festival
Temple University Concert Band Festival - Thursday, May 1, 2014
Registration Deadline is March 15, 2014 - register your band today by emailing Professor Emily Threinen.
The one-day high school band festival, sponsored by the Boyer College of Music and Dance, will be held on Temple University’s Main Campus. This non-competitive event will emphasize performance and education by providing students and directors from high school band programs the opportunity to receive feedback from and work directly with Boyer College Band and Music Education faculty Matthew Brunner, Nathan Buonviri, and Emily Threinen, as well as Temple’s applied faculty, many of whom are members of the Philadelphia Orchestra, listed below.
- Performance and post-performance workshop for 10 select bands in the Temple Performing Arts Center (TPAC)
- Commemorative plaque signifying participation in the festival
- CD containing clinicians’ feedback and CD of full performance without feedback
- Director’s DVD video recording with camera facing conductor
- Personalized tour of Temple’s main campus led by Boyer College Music Education students
- Attendance to Temple University Wind Symphony concert at 7:30pm, featuring a Philadelphia premiere marimba concerto by Adam Silverman and a performance of Symphony No. 4 by David Maslanka
- Master Classes by Temple University’s applied faculty and members of the Philadelphia Orchestra which feature high school students performing prepared solo works or excerpts (recommendations from band directors); all students and directors are invited to attend/observe and interact with the applied faculty:
Bands are scheduled to perform 20 minutes of music (of the director’s choosing) and receive a 20 minute clinic by Boyer College faculty in TPAC.
Schedule of the Day - Thursday, May 1, 2014
8:30am - 12:30pm: Band Performances and Clinics, Tours of Campus, and Listening to other Band Performances in TPAC
1:00 - 2:30pm: Temple Wind Symphony Dress Rehearsal in TPAC
3:00 - 4:00pm: Master Classes with Applied Faculty in Presser and Rock Halls
7:30pm: Temple University Wind Symphony Concert
- Point Blank by Paul Dooley
- Adagio para Orquesta de Instrumentos de Viento by Joaquín Rodrigo
- Carbon Paper and Nitrogen Ink by Adam Silverman
- featuring Phillip O’Banion on Marimba (Philadelphia Premiere)
- Symphony No. 4 by David Maslanka
The participation fee is $400 per band - paid upon arrival the day of the festival. This fee covers recording, facility, and master class costs.
Registration Deadline is March 15, 2014 - register your band today by emailing Professor Emily Threinen. Bands will be accepted in order of response; first come, first served. Once accepted, you will be sent a confirmation email and additional details.
A full complement of large percussion equipment and a grand piano will be available.
On behalf of the Temple University Bands and the Music Education Department, please feel free to contact me at 215-204-8335 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about the Festival.