Concert Band Festival
CONCERT BAND FESTIVAL is FRIDAY, APRIL 22, 2016
TEMPLE PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
Registration Deadline is March 15, 2016 - register your band today by emailing Dr. Emily Threinen.
The one-day high school band festival, sponsored by the Boyer College of Music and Dance Band Department and Music Education Department, will be held on Temple University’s Main Campus. This non-competitive event will emphasize performance and education by providing students and directors from high school band programs the opportunity to receive feedback and work directly with Boyer College Band and Music Education faculty Matthew Brunner, Nathan Buonviri, and Emily Threinen, as well as Temple’s applied faculty, many of whom are members of the Philadelphia Orchestra, listed below.
Participation in the Concert Band Festival includes:
- Performance and post-performance workshop for select bands in the Temple Performing Arts Center
- Commemorative plaque signifying participation in the festival
- CD or digital audio files containing clinicians’ feedback and audio files of full performance without feedback
- Director’s DVD video recording with camera facing conductor
- Personalized tour of Temple’s main campus led by Boyer College Music students
- Attendance to Temple University Wind Symphony concert at 7:30pm
- Master Classes by Temple University’s applied faculty and members of the Philadelphia Orchestra that will feature high school students performing prepared solo works or excerpts (recommendations from band directors); all students and directors are invited to attend/observe and interact with the applied faculty below.
Bands are scheduled to perform 20 minutes of music (directors choice) and receive a 20 minute clinic by Boyer College faculty in the Temple Performing Arts Center.
All students and faculty are on their own for meals during the day. There are many convenient and affordable meal options on campus (food trucks, dining halls, fast food, and student center food court).
Schedule of the Day - Friday, April 22, 2016 (tentative)
8:30am - 2:30pm: Band Performances and Clinics, Tours of Campus, and Listening to other Band Performances in TPAC
3:00 - 4:00pm: Master Classes with Applied Faculty in Presser and Rock Halls
7:30pm: Temple University Wind Symphony Concert
“Once Upon a Time”
Children’s Overture by Eugene Bozza
A Child’s Garden of Dreams by David Maslanka
Sunrise at Angel’s Gate by Philip Sparke
Metallephonic Remix: Tuba Concerto by Daniel Nelson
Dance of the Jesters from “The Snow Maiden” by Peter Tchaikovsky/Cramer
The participation fee is $425 per band - paid upon arrival the day of the festival. This fee covers recording, materials, facility, and master class costs.
Registration Deadline is March 15, 2016 - register your band today by emailing Dr. Emily Threinen. Bands will be accepted in order of response; first come, first served. Once accepted, you will be sent a confirmation email and additional details.
A full complement of large percussion equipment and a grand piano will be available.
Contact Dr. Emily Threinen for questions via phone: 215-204-8335.